How many of you struggle with finding healthy snacking options?
Try some of these healthy recipes to see you through your day…
Popcorn – quick and easy (10 minutes)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- Large, heavy-bottomed saucepan with a lid
- Salt to taste
- Add salt to the oil, and then heat the oil in the saucepan over a medium hot heat.
- Put in 3 or 4 kernels, and when they start to pop add the rest of the kernels
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and time for 30secs
- Return the pan to the heat, and the popping should start almost immediately.
- Once the popping is in full swing keep shaking the pan.
- When the popping slows to every few seconds remove the pan from the heat and tip immediately into a wide bowl.
- Add other flavourings if desired e.g. Smoked paprika, chilli powder, curry powder, cumin
Vegetable crisps – slow and easy (1.5hrs)
- A variety of root veg – carrots, turnips, sweet potato, parsnips
- Slice veg very thinly – use veg peeler, mandolin or slicer attachment on food processor (make slices as large as possible as they will shrink a lot when cooking)
- Spread out on a baking tray that has been brushed lightly with olive oil
- Bake in the oven at 120C for 1.5 – 2hrs turning over half-way (some veg e.g. Parsnips take less time)
- Remove from oven
- Sprinkle with a mixture of sea salt, fennel seeds and crushed chilli to taste
Try to keep your nibbles to your usual snack times rather than having them freely available all day.
Don’t eat nibbles straight from the bag or box while sat on the settee in front of the TV – mindless eating is a sure fire way to eat more than you need. Leave the bag in the kitchen and just bring in a few in a (small) bowl. That way you have to make a conscious decision to get up to have some, and you have some control over your portion size.